Pages

Saturday, June 12, 2010

My first adventurous trek..


I am not going to bore you in my first post. I will just share a few experiences of my trek.


It was the final day of the 12th public exam. Fortunately our batch had a very easy math paper. I finished my exam and came out of the hall with a sigh of relief. My thoughts started to wander. I was preparing for the Nilgiris trek. It was organized by the government of India. (A five day trek).We were a team of 30 which included people from all age groups. A good team! We halted at the Parson’s valley trek shed the first day. The salubrious climate welcomed us. To our surprise, the place had water and electricity. Maybe they did not want to scare us the first day. We made a small trek which was easy. We visited the parson’s valley, an awesome place. I stood there admiring the placid waters. That night was terribly cold.


It was day 2. I was thrilled about the day’s activities. We started our big trek. We left around 7 am in the morning and reached our site before it got dark. We met the local tribes. It was nice to see the ebullient character of the little children. The people were very hospitable. The next spot was the park. We set the ball rolling by doing some exercise to make our body a little flexible. From there we were able to see the Mukurthi peak. The morning’s first golden rays hit the peak. The view was breath-taking. We started walking. It was easy in the beginning. In a few hours, the trek became difficult. It was the first hill which we had to cross. The ground was slippery. With a little difficulty, we crossed it. We quenched our thirst from the stream waters. It was very pure and sweet! Passing through some valleys, we reached our second site,which was a point of ‘no return’. I was expecting a tent but it was a small building. But for water, everything was comfortable. The only source for water was a river 2 kms from our site. It was a good experience.


We got up shivering the next day. We had soup and bread in the morning and started trekking through the bamboo forest. It was really dense. If you don’t follow the guide and maintain your pace, you will be lost! I had a tough time crossing that. We had to play hide and seek with elephants. In the afternoon, I experienced the harrowing phase in my life. We were on the top of some hill ( I don’t remember the name.. but it was close to the elk hill). We had to cross the hill and go to the next hill. The path was very narrow and rugged. One wrong step and you are dead. We had almost crossed 6 hills that day. We reached the site a bit late. And the room had no electricity. We had a campfire in the night.


The next day we went through the tea gardens in the morning. Around 11 am we started climbing the Mudumalai hills which was not at all a cake-walk. It is known for its pulchritude. We packed lunch in the morning itself. We ate curd rice (my favorite) near a stream. We reached the top of the hill. It was drizzling. A perfect spot to rest. We played cards just to relax. It was time to reach the foothills. We had to stop at several places to check for the wild animals. Finally we made it to the temple at the Mudumalai foothills. We looked up at the hill. I did not believe that I was there at the zenith of the hill.


It was the final day. The trek to Pykara. It was exciting. I lost almost 4 kilos but felt healthy and fresh throughout the day. We were gasping when we reached our final camp site. Our guide strictly told not to leave our rooms after 7pm as the wild elephants will chase you. I was eagerly waiting by my window to sight a tusker, but unfortunately it didn’t cross my room. Our guide distributed the certificates in the night. Felt good!! I bid goodbye to everyone and returned home carrying with me all the beautiful moments I spent in the trek.

6 comments:

  1. Nice adventure girl!! :D :D Cheers!!
    and i am posting the FIRST comment! yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Jayashree: good!! planning for more adventure next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice start..!! :) expectin more :)
    btw wen i went to mudumalai i spotted elephants n deers near our cottage itself..!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @archana: thanks.. we saw elephants in mudumalai but we dint see them near our site in Pykara, which was situated in a place where elephants attack u easily.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @shruthi: I have been to pykara as well..!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shruthi, that's a good contribution indeed. Where the mind wanders with Nature, there the heart stays in Peace and bliss. So I'm happy that you shared Ur Nostalgia. "Away from the exuberant crowd and cacophony of the world..."Ha Just a vivid imagination takes me out of the world! That was a real rejuvenation for me reading this blog post.

    ReplyDelete